Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps Grumps is offline

Default Diesel starting problem

Christian McArdle wrote:
And there really isn't a pigtail indicator.

are you sure ?
even new diesels need thier plugs warmed first (and have a pigtail
light) ....

Modern diesels often run the pump and glowplugs to "prime" the engine
when you unlock the doors, so there is no need for a light. It also
means that starting can sometimes be slightly more difficult if you
wait too long before starting the engine.

Hmm. I wonder. That would certainly be the case when it failed to start when
I tried a week ago. We were sat in the car with the engine off for ages,
then tried to start it. But surely the manufacturers know this, and would
have something 'extra' when starting in this situation.

It is also why, on a modern diesel, if you accidentally fill with
petrol, do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING until the fuel can be pumped out. DO
NOT touch the keys or attempt to lock or unlock the doors. Otherwise,
you can find your petrol has caused several thousand pounds worth of
damage to the fuel pump.
Christian.