Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps Grumps is offline

Default Diesel starting problem

wrote:
Grumps wrote:
wrote:
Kev wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Hi All

I've got a 7 year old BMW 530d and it has developed an
intermittent starting issue. Normally, it will start with just a
flick of the ignition, but now it sometimes takes about 5
seconds. It turns over easily, so I don't suspect a battery
problem. The battery however, is one that has a charge indicator,
and it is black (insufficient charge). Of course it should be
green, but at least it isn't orange (dead)!

Before this car I had another BMW diesel. When starting this one,
you had to wait for the instrument panel's pigtail symbol to
extinguish before cranking. This was, as you know, to allow the
glow plugs to heat up.

The current car does not have this pigtail symbol, so how does it
work? It still has glow plugs I assume?
My thoughts as to the intermittent starting problem were that
there is a loose connection to or from the glow plug relay. Any
other thoughts before Mr Local 'tie me up and steal my money' BMW
Dealer has a look? Oh, and if anyone knows where said relay is
likely to be, that'd be useful too.

PS I've tried some BMW specific online forums, but these seem to
have degenerated since I last used them ('where can I find an M3
logo for my 316?' etc).

Thanks.

This doesn't sound like the problem that I had with a Peugeot
diesel but might be worth checking. It got progressively more
difficult to start and it was diagnosed as an air leak in the fuel
system. The pipes to the fuel filter were renewed but the problem
persisted. It got to a point where I had to prime the filter with
the small hand pump every time I needed to start the car. A new
complete fuel filter assembley cured the problem.

Kevin

try alt auto bmw, its chock full of BMW nerds who are more than
willing to help.

However I'd try to switch on the ignition for about 10 seconds ,
then starting the car.
If it starts first time then then you may have a blown bulb on the
dash, behind a 'pigtial' symbol.

(My brother in law used to drive a diesel and never bothered to wait
for the light to go out started fine most of the time (he was a
plonker of the highest order however))

Iv'e got a c reg 518 that always starts on the button , so you
should have a few years left yet in her

Thanks, I'll try that ng.
I have tried waiting before cranking; makes no difference.
And there really isn't a pigtail indicator.

are you sure ?
even new diesels need thier plugs warmed first (and have a pigtail
light) ....
Still live and learn .....

Maybe they warm up much quicker so they don't bother with the light.
My old Corsa and Current 206 Van both have pigtails. My mate's Mitsubishi
and my FIL's Merc don't.