Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps Grumps is offline

Default Diesel starting problem

wrote:
Kev wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Hi All

I've got a 7 year old BMW 530d and it has developed an intermittent
starting issue. Normally, it will start with just a flick of the
ignition, but now it sometimes takes about 5 seconds. It turns over
easily, so I don't suspect a battery problem. The battery however,
is one that has a charge indicator, and it is black (insufficient
charge). Of course it should be green, but at least it isn't orange
(dead)!

Before this car I had another BMW diesel. When starting this one,
you had to wait for the instrument panel's pigtail symbol to
extinguish before cranking. This was, as you know, to allow the
glow plugs to heat up.

The current car does not have this pigtail symbol, so how does it
work? It still has glow plugs I assume?
My thoughts as to the intermittent starting problem were that there
is a loose connection to or from the glow plug relay. Any other
thoughts before Mr Local 'tie me up and steal my money' BMW Dealer
has a look? Oh, and if anyone knows where said relay is likely to
be, that'd be useful too.

PS I've tried some BMW specific online forums, but these seem to
have degenerated since I last used them ('where can I find an M3
logo for my 316?' etc).

Thanks.

This doesn't sound like the problem that I had with a Peugeot diesel
but might be worth checking. It got progressively more difficult to
start and it was diagnosed as an air leak in the fuel system. The
pipes to the fuel filter were renewed but the problem persisted. It
got to a point where I had to prime the filter with the small hand
pump every time I needed to start the car. A new complete fuel
filter assembley cured the problem.

Kevin

try alt auto bmw, its chock full of BMW nerds who are more than
willing to help.

However I'd try to switch on the ignition for about 10 seconds , then
starting the car.
If it starts first time then then you may have a blown bulb on the
dash, behind a 'pigtial' symbol.

(My brother in law used to drive a diesel and never bothered to wait
for the light to go out started fine most of the time (he was a
plonker of the highest order however))

Iv'e got a c reg 518 that always starts on the button , so you should
have a few years left yet in her

Thanks, I'll try that ng.
I have tried waiting before cranking; makes no difference.
And there really isn't a pigtail indicator.