Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] alan@mytrashmail.com is offline

Default Residential Electrical Grounding - 2005 NEC

I'm upgrading the electrical service in my Minneapolis home from 60 amp
to 200 amp. The service entrance, from weatherhead to the main panel,
is installed. The next step is grounding the system. The 2005 NEC is
unavailable in my library and I can't find a Minnesota Code resource
and I want to know what is required for this step. All of the books
I'm referencing (including Wiring Simplified and Rex Cauldwell's Wiring
a House) seem to have variations.

I think I'm supposed to ground from the neutral bus bar to a water pipe
within 5 feet of where it enters the house, and supplement it with a
grounding rod. This would entail running 6 AWG copper from the main
panel approximately 30 feet to a point near the water meter, then
bonding to a grounding rod that's already in place a few feet away in a
sump pit.

I would appreciate any advice on code requirements for this matter.

Thank you,
Alan