Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS BobS is offline

Default Solar powered stirling engine project

Here's an interesting site and FAQ about Stirling engines.

It is a Stirling engine and they are in use today in way's you never thought
about. From submarines to cooling infrared devices..... according to the
FAQ on this site.

http://www.stirlingengine.com/faq/on...ublic&faq_id=1

Bob S.

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
The woodworking connection isn't exactly obvious (the frame for the
solar concentrator is wood) - but I thought the project might be of
interest to at least a few of the wreckers.

It's also not so obvious that it's an engine at all - since the only
moving parts are air and water. I /think/ it's a stirling engine; and
kind of hope that one of you folks can either confirm that or tell me
what kind of engine it really is.

It's be like winning the lottery if someone could explain to me (in
terms I could understand) why and how (with formulas!) the darn thing
works so I could do some actual design.

If you're intigued by weird motors, you might want to build one of
these (should set you back less than $5).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar