David G

Default Alternate methods of attaching ceiling joists ?

Hi,

I have to replace all the ceiling joists in my lounge following
ripping down the lathe & plaster and discovering that most of the
joists are considerably bowed in all different directions and won't
give me the flat finish I am after for the plasterboard.

On the party wall side the old joists are butted against a beam which
is attached to the brickwork. There is a small strip attached to the
beam that the joists sit on with a little piece cut out of the joists
to form a sort of step (sorry for the nontechnical terms). Rather
than having to cut this step out of all the new joists is it possible
to use galvinised steel hangers ? I would have to remove the step
strip, bend the hangers over the beam and nail them. The joists would
then sit in the hanger and be nailed themselves. Seems like a much
simpler solution to me.

Cheers,
David