Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] lairdy@gmail.com is offline

Default Which Washing Machine ??

Huge wrote:

We've had three washing machines in our 28 year married life. A Hotpoint
which wore out beyond economic repair, a Philips which I repaired
several times, but eventually it too wore out, and the Miele, which
we've only had a couple of years. It's much better built than the
previous ones, which themselves were much better built than today's
machines - the Philips lasted about 20 years (the Hotpoint was second
hand, so I don't know how long that lasted) - I very much doubt a
modern equivalent would last that long.

I've had two in 22 years. A Servis that lasted about 15, and a Bosch
that's still going strong after 7 without a hiccup. A modern Servis
looks absolutely nothing like the one I reluctantly threw out (it was
still working, but the then house manager objected to the rust), but I
would put money on Bosch remaining a sound buy. I've had the lid off
it to unhook the dispenser tray for a thorough cleaning, and it's very
neat inside.

No doubt a Miele is better, but it's also more expensive. When I
bought the Bosch, one salesman suggested I should get 10 years use of
it, possibly more like 20 for Miele/AEG, and maybe 2 for just about
everything else in the shop :-o

If the OP has access to a John Lewis store, I'd place some faith in
their opinion, which is very much not of the "flog what's in stock"
variety.

--
"Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?"