Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default grinder at Woodcraft onsale this month - any good???

Hi Marvin
If you are able to go to the store, and don't have to maillorder the
grinder, then ask if they will trial run the grinder in the store,
that's what I did last year and good I did the first one they tried was
walking the floor, the second one was much better, not perfect mind
you, but I was able to get the wheels to run straight, and the grinder
works OK, mine doesn't like it cold though, works better when the shop
is warm.
Make sure you also get a wheel dresser, a star dresser gives the best
open wheel surface, but a diamond dresser works fine also, you have to
dress your wheels whenever they glaze up or the surface gets grooved.

If you can find a used Baldor or Stanley, you'd be better off in my
opinion, just my 2 cents.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum25.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

espressoMarv wrote:
Hello,

I am just starting to get a few things together to start woodturning.

I am looking at this grinder:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...lySpecial=True

8" Slow Speed Grinder #144290

Does anyone know if this grinder is any good?

Thank you for any replies.

Marvin