Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default How to cut Edwardian door to fit glass panel?

Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
I've had another look at the door and the beading is part of the frame
(and part of the t section in the middle). The panel seems fairly stuck
in this door but in some of the others it moves about 7.5 mm in both
directions and I'm sure it's the same type of door.
I can't see how I'd get a glass pane in without cutting beading on one
side.

You put the glass in from the *other* side and it sits against the
existing beading. It's held in position by the new beading that you're
going to cut and fix to the other side. It'll all be clear when you get
the panels out.....

Sorry, a correction to that. Most of the old doors round here are beaded
on one side and plain on the other. If yours has moulding on both sides,
you may well need your Japanese saw after all. Take the panels out first
and see what has to go.