troubleinstore

Default Electricity Meter

"Set Square" wrote in message
In an earlier contribution to this
,
Scott wrote:
Hi
Not sure if this is appropriate for this group but its as close as I
could find.
I have had an electricity bill that I think is to high. On switching
everything off on the consumer unit, the disk on the meter continues
to spin.
The meter has 6 numerical vertical counters and underneath a disk
that spins horizontally.
It is the disk that continues to spin. It takes 13 minutes and 33
seconds to do a complete revolution.
Is this correct?
Next to the meter (on the exit side) is a switch. This looks like
where the electric enters the house. When I switch this off the disk
continues to spin at the same rate.
I have spoken to the supplier who has told me to take meter readings
every day then they will do a meter accuracy test. what does this
involve.

Regards
Scott

With everything switched off, the disc shouldn't move at all - so there
seems to be something (albeit very small) still being used. If your meter

is
like mine, the disc will rotate 250 times per kW.Hr (unit). At the spin

rate
you quote, you are consuming power at the rate of about 17 watts - and

will
use a unit every 56 hours or so, or about 38 units (probably about 3 quid)
per quarter.

Is there *anything* which could still be running with everything switched
off - like a time clock for off-peak power, for example?

There is usually a charge for testing a meter. If it is found to be

faulty,
the supplier pays. If it is found to be ok, and *you* requested the test,
*you* pay.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

I requested a meter check and all was ok in the end. The electricity company
didn't charge me.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk