Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Ladders

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I'm not a happy bunny using ladders - probably because I know how dangerous
they can be.

Would I be/feel safer if I bought a ladder stand off like this

I share your fears over using ladders and despite having now done a
whole load of work at height (guttering, burglar alarm, complete house
repaint) I'm still not comfortable.

However, ever since I got myself a stand-off - specifically this one:
I've found things a whole lot easier. Fits in seconds (I am led to
beleive that the type you quoted above can be a bit fiddly) and makes
the whole ladder incredibly sturdy - you really can feel the difference
not only for its anti-twisting but also lateral/vertical slip thanks to
the 50mm rubber 'feet' that fit squarely against the wall.

The platform aspect to the one I've got really helps too - it easily
swallows a paint tray which for me was a real boon. Indeed, just having
somewhere to place tools (holds 10kg max) avoids what all-too-often
feels like a juggling act. Furthermore, when you're positioned in front
of it you can't see down below it which certainly helps my fear of
heights!

Another poster mentioned that stand-offs position you too far from the
wall - I couldn't disagree more. When working at the height of the
stand-off the wall is well within reach and you're able to comfortably
drill etc without dangerously leaning back - indeed you can stay hard
up against the ladder and work completely centrally so you really
couldn't feel (and be) safer. If further down the ladder you're too far
from the wall you need to be shortening the ladder height - that safety
rule applies whether you're using a standoff or not.

The advantages when it comes to clearing guttering speak for
themselves, and it's handy to be able to not have your ladder
positioning restricted due to soil/drain pipes etc as it can straddle
around a 6-inch protusion from the wall.

In case you haven't worked it out, I can highly recommend stand-offs
(or at least specifically the 'LadderMax' one I've got).

Mathew