Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy Timothy Murphy is offline

Default Mystery of Ikea plug

I bought 2 very nice angle lamps from Ikea to light my computer bench,
but both failed after a couple of weeks.

These are 12 volt lamps with a transformer attached to the 3-pin plug.

I dis-assembled the plug, as I thought there was probably a fuse in it.
There wasn't, but what I found mystifying is that
both the primary and the secondary coil
appeared to have infinite resistance,
although there was no evidence of any burning in either case.

Could there be some other explanation of this?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie