Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Ladders

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I'm not a happy bunny using ladders - probably because I know how
dangerous they can be.

Would I be/feel safer if I bought a ladder stand off like this

Or a ladder stabiliser like this?

Or should I just wear brown trousers?

Having had to work off ladders with fairly heavy machinery for many years, I
can say with all honesty that the only time I was scared was when some
idiotic council made us use these stand offs, the stabilisers are even
worse.

The worst thing about the stand offs are that they make you too far away
from the wall - they are 18 inches away at the top rung! - if you are a few
rungs down from that you are over 2 ft away, so you have to stretch, this is
when accidents happen.
As far as the 'stabilisers' go - would you *feel* safe climbing a ladder
resting in that contraption?

The best ladder stabiliser is soil - simply place the ladders on a flowerbed
where possible and jump on the first rung to sink them in....failing this
(if they are on hardstanding) sprag them off a wall, kerb or any other solid
upright - I've even seen people knock a bolster chisel into gaps and put the
foot of the ladder against it to prevent slipping - slipping is the only
thing that can cause the ladder to fall, and they don't slip sideways.
A good set of ladders should not wobble from side to side when extended and
you are climbing up them...if they do give sideways movement at height, get
rid of them and buy a rigid set, also don't have them too far away from the
wall.