Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Bad 'Mains test plugs' ?

On 21 Aug 2006 06:12:08 -0700, "Mathew Newton"
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

Those 13A fitting 'Mains test plugs' .. are there good one and bad
ones (generally) or are they all basically as 'good' (bad?) as each
other?

Mine, at around £15, also tests RCDs which I've found handy. I say
'test' but whilst it can apply various fault currents (10mA, 30mA,
100mA etc) it doesn't actually test the trip *time*. That said, it's
been useful if only as a reassurance tool - arguably the intended
purpose for this kind of tool.

Well exactly. Not only to you learn that there are no major issues
with the wiring but that the RCD does do *something* ;-)

It was from CPC however looking at the catalogue I don't know if it's
still available as they have a similar one at
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...sp?sku=IN02013 but
it's £20 however it does appear to test RCD trip time (albeit only for
30mA?).

Hmm, interesting. Isn't it annoying how often these days a handy VFM
product disappears to be *nearly* replaced by an 'alternative' ? ;-(

All the best and thanks for the heads up Mathew ..

T i m