Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gate valves vs. Ball valves.

In article .com,
wrote:
Ball type float valves are deprecated technology

Maybe, but they are *far* more reliable than Torbeck type ones.

Depends on your water. if lime isn't a probem, then a Torbeck will
out-last the rubber seat of a traditional ball valve.

I do live in a soft water area, though. But I'm not sure about outlast or
if that matters given a ball valve rubber can last 25 years plus. I do
know the one Torbeck I have has needed attention several times while the
ball valves seem to go on for ever.

I always fit Torbecks to toilets because they fill faster (flow isn't
throttled gradually as the cistern fills). I don't bother to use them
for header tanks though.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.