Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson Stephen Dawson is offline

Default Drills - Not SDS this time

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm assuming you're timber framing and need to drill very deep peg
holes on site. When I was taught, we used something like this:

Quite compact, but it's designed to be slow running - so full
power/torque at the lower cutting speeds that an auger bit likes to
draw itself along.

A chat with the Axminster helpline about the best possible auger
bit/drill combination might be useful:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pf_id//ju...its-207874.htm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pf_id//ju...its-207874.htm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pf_id//ju...its-207874.htm

We are electrical contractors who work with a bespoke joiner, and they have
started doing new build with green oak beams and complete oak installations.
We tried the cordless, but broke them, SDS is no good because the safety
clutches kick in.

We used new auger bits , or they were sharpened 2 or 3 times a day. The bits
were not the issue only the machine to drive them in.

I have had a look at your other post and I may give the Makita Cordless a
try. Failing that will will get the Metabo corded machine.

Thanks for everybody's advice

Regards

Steve