Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Insulation for solid walls

marvelus wrote:
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:00:53 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

marvelus wrote:
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:02:06 GMT, "Phil L"

It's a lot more expensive than normal CWI, so much so that it
will never turn a profit - you will never save as much as it has
cost for installing,

You mean the return is less than mortgage interest rates? As long
as the return is higher than this wont it pay for itself
eventually. Also, if fuel prices rise wont the pay back time
reduce?

thanks
Thomas

Conventional CWI takes decades to pay for itself, exterior
insulation takes much longer, because A) It costs more, and B) It's
not as effective.

That's not to say it shouldn't be installed - the house will be
warmer in winter and cooler in summer, and this is the main thing,
not saving money - if saving money is your ultimate goal you are
wasting your time bothering because you won't save anything.

your full of ****

sorry

Perhaps my earlier comments have confused you? - I'll try to keep
the words short so that you can follow:

If he spends £500 on conventional CWI, and saves £60 per year, he
will have broke even in less than 20 years, everything after that is
profit.
If on the other hand he chooses to have exterior insulation, it will
cost him probably £3,500 and save him less than £60 per year - with
me so far? - this means it will take him at least 58 years just to
break even.

..sorry about having to use the word 'conventional', there's an
explanation he
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conventional

Cavity Wall Insulation reduces heat loss by upto 1/3
http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/domesticll.php?CLASSIFICATION=59&PARENT=54
or prove otherwise!

I don't neeed to prove otherwise, I've installed CWI (both fibreglass and
rockwool) in over 5,000 houses including my own (obviously!) and the savings
are nothing like those claimed.

So more like savings of £250 / year for a house that costs £500 to
insulate. Even ignoring the grants and rapid increases in fuel costs
it pays for itself in just over 2 years.

I'm afraid people are forgetting that moey used to be worth a lot more than
it is now, IE if someone paid £200 for CWI 15 years ago, that £200 is like a
grand today, so regardless of fuel prices, interest rates and everything
else, that person is still in the red.

25mm Celotex has thermal resistance of 1.05 m2k/w compared to 4 1/2
inch brick thickness of 0.132. So an inch of celotex has same theremal
resistance as a yard thickness of bricks. Far from "useless".

Solid insulation is not CWI, celotex can't be inserted into an existing
cavity as the OP mentioned, nor can kingspan, polystyrene or anything else
in rigid or semi rigid form, his only option (apart from exterior
insulation) is to have it blown, and blown insulation is useless at less
than 50mm thick.

Sorry about my abusive tone earlier, I have a hard life

on the blob?