Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Adding a GFCI outlet with two-wire (duplex) wire

android wrote:
I would like to replace a two prong outlet in the kitchen of my 1950's home
with a GFCI outlet. The conductor is two-wire (no ground). Will a GFCI
outlet work (will I be able to "reset" it)without replacing the wiring?

Yes, it will work fine and do the shock protection job as intended, and
test or reset without problems.

When you buy a new GFCI outlet it will come with a stick-on label saying
"Ground Not Connected" which you should place on the outlet plate for
that receptical.

I haven't yet learned just why that notice is needed, but I suppose
there's a valid reason. It's hard to imagine why someone would want to
use the ground pin of a receptical to ground something that's not being