Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David David is offline

Default 70volts going from breaker box into the ground.

"petrus bitbyter" wrote in message
ll.nl...

"NN" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

petrus bitbyter wrote:
"NN" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
I live in a old house but I get the three power lines coming into
breaker box (110x2, ground). I don,t know if he is pulling my leg,
but
I was told in a note that something is wrong with my electrical, and
they had measured 70 volts between the box and the ground. My
electric bill is not outrageous but I can only guess it is costing
money and maybe some safety issues to. Is this possible or its a
joke?

Buy a (cheap $10) meter and check for yourself. Between both 110 lines
you'd find 220Vac. Between each hot and neutral 110Vac. The voltage
between
neutral and ground may vary. If the neutral is grounded in the breaker
box
it should be very low. One maybe two volts. Otherwise the voltage can
easily
rise to some tens of volts caused by unbalance in the load.

petrus bitbyter

With my meter set at ac, I put one probe to the third (ground wire that
comes in and the other probe to the grounding wire going to the ground
poll? ( With safety in mind ) Would that situation of 70volts cost
money in wasted electricity?

My Guess:
The original poster is measuring from the neutral to something ungrounded
and getting an erroneous reading from the meter.

David