Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant Dan_Musicant is offline

Default Window Retrofit in frame home

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:59:40 GMT, "ESM" wrote:

:Home is frame with stucco on the outside. I've talked to a few people and
:they all say a retrofit on a frame with stucco house can be very labor
:intensive. It usually involves chipping out stucco around the entire
:window, pulling the window, refitting, and re-stucco.
:
:Home Depot guarantees the windows and the installation for lifetime, so that
:seems to be a benefit for them. They used licensed contractors only
required in this county). From the way the warranty is, and what they told
:me (i still need to verify with additional managers), if there is any issue
:with the install during the lifetime I live in the home, they fix it free.

I personally wouldn't do it without getting references and checking them
out. Find homes similar to yours that had their windows replaced by
these HD/state licensed contractor's, talk to the owners. Find people
who will talk to you frankly and honestly and at length, who had similar
work done recently and some time ago and determine how thorough and
reliable these guys have been. Unless you are pretty confident, don't
sign.