Posted to alt.home.repair
ESM ESM is offline

Default Window Retrofit in frame home

I'm down in Central Florida and am pricing out replacement windows. I
called Home Depot and got a price on their Simonton windows that they
install for you. This is a higher grade window then what they offer
in-store.

The windows are all dual pane, argon filled, low E, double hung, all vinyl.
Since it's FL, they are rated for hurricane winds up to 120mph. The
installed price for 8 windows, 1 5' slider, and 1 6' slider is $10,500.
This includes the following window sizes:

3 @ 34x75, 1 @ 52x49, 1 @ 52x37, 2 @ 36x49, 1 @ 18x35, 1 @ 5' slider, 1 @ 6'
slider. As you can see, I do have some larger windows.

I'm trying to determine how good or bad this price is given the type of
window and the sizes. Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ESM wrote:
I'm down in Central Florida and am pricing out replacement windows. I
called Home Depot and got a price on their Simonton windows that they
install for you. This is a higher grade window then what they offer
in-store.

The windows are all dual pane, argon filled, low E, double hung, all vinyl.
Since it's FL, they are rated for hurricane winds up to 120mph. The
installed price for 8 windows, 1 5' slider, and 1 6' slider is $10,500.
This includes the following window sizes:

3 @ 34x75, 1 @ 52x49, 1 @ 52x37, 2 @ 36x49, 1 @ 18x35, 1 @ 5' slider, 1 @ 6'
slider. As you can see, I do have some larger windows.

I'm trying to determine how good or bad this price is given the type of
window and the sizes. Any thoughts?

Seems high to me but I'm in NE. Is your home standard frame
construction or concrete of some sort? What material is on the
exterior of your home (wood, vinyl, stucco, etc.)? Replacement windows
usually leave some portion of the existing window frame intact so the
condition of those is important.

Cost aside, I would not have windows installed by a Home Cheapo
contractor. A few extra bucks is money well spent on an upgrade you
will probably only do once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ESM wrote:
I'm down in Central Florida and am pricing out replacement windows. I
called Home Depot and got a price on their Simonton windows that they
install for you. This is a higher grade window then what they offer
in-store.

The windows are all dual pane, argon filled, low E, double hung, all vinyl.
Since it's FL, they are rated for hurricane winds up to 120mph. The
installed price for 8 windows, 1 5' slider, and 1 6' slider is $10,500.
This includes the following window sizes:

3 @ 34x75, 1 @ 52x49, 1 @ 52x37, 2 @ 36x49, 1 @ 18x35, 1 @ 5' slider, 1 @ 6'
slider. As you can see, I do have some larger windows.

I'm trying to determine how good or bad this price is given the type of
window and the sizes. Any thoughts?

Really hard to say on the price but I would get a couple estimates from
REAL window companies. Home Depot subs the work out and it is quite
unlikely that you'll be getting a truly competent installer not to
mention the fact that if (when) you have a problem with the windows or
installation NO ONE will take ownership of it Home Despot will say "its
the subs problem" the installer will say "I work for Home Depot, its
their problem".
I live in SW Florida and there are plenty of contractors that
specialize in window replacement, do yourself a BIG favor and call a
couple of them.

Good Luck
George

Posted to alt.home.repair
ESM ESM is offline

Home is frame with stucco on the outside. I've talked to a few people and
they all say a retrofit on a frame with stucco house can be very labor
intensive. It usually involves chipping out stucco around the entire
window, pulling the window, refitting, and re-stucco.

Home Depot guarantees the windows and the installation for lifetime, so that
seems to be a benefit for them. They used licensed contractors only
(required in this county). From the way the warranty is, and what they told
me (i still need to verify with additional managers), if there is any issue
with the install during the lifetime I live in the home, they fix it free.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

ESM wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:21:40 GMT, "ESM" wrote:

I'm down in Central Florida and am pricing out replacement windows. I
called Home Depot and got a price on their Simonton windows that they
install for you. This is a higher grade window then what they offer
in-store.

The windows are all dual pane, argon filled, low E, double hung, all vinyl.
Since it's FL, they are rated for hurricane winds up to 120mph. The
installed price for 8 windows, 1 5' slider, and 1 6' slider is $10,500.
This includes the following window sizes:

3 @ 34x75, 1 @ 52x49, 1 @ 52x37, 2 @ 36x49, 1 @ 18x35, 1 @ 5' slider, 1 @ 6'
slider. As you can see, I do have some larger windows.

I'm trying to determine how good or bad this price is given the type of
window and the sizes. Any thoughts?

Price may be a little high so get another estimate. But then we
can't see what extra work is involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Last month I had 13 windows replaced. My home, while not in Florida,
is stucco over a frame, built about 50 years ago. The general
contractor I used has done a lot of these and there was some very
minor chipping of stucco at one window only. I guess it depends on who
you have do the work. I had Milgard double pane for all replacements.

"ESM" wrote:

Home is frame with stucco on the outside. I've talked to a few people and
they all say a retrofit on a frame with stucco house can be very labor
intensive. It usually involves chipping out stucco around the entire
window, pulling the window, refitting, and re-stucco.

Home Depot guarantees the windows and the installation for lifetime, so that
seems to be a benefit for them. They used licensed contractors only
(required in this county). From the way the warranty is, and what they told
me (i still need to verify with additional managers), if there is any issue
with the install during the lifetime I live in the home, they fix it free.

"RayV" wrote in message
roups.com...

ESM wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ESM" wrote in message
I'm down in Central Florida and am pricing out replacement windows. I
called Home Depot and got a price on their Simonton windows that they
install for you. This is a higher grade window then what they offer
in-store.

The windows are all dual pane, argon filled, low E, double hung, all
vinyl. Since it's FL, they are rated for hurricane winds up to 120mph.
The installed price for 8 windows, 1 5' slider, and 1 6' slider is
$10,500. This includes the following window sizes:

3 @ 34x75, 1 @ 52x49, 1 @ 52x37, 2 @ 36x49, 1 @ 18x35, 1 @ 5' slider, 1 @
6' slider. As you can see, I do have some larger windows.

I'm trying to determine how good or bad this price is given the type of
window and the sizes. Any thoughts?

It would be beneficial, to determine a competitive price, based on your
other estimates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in
oups.com:

ESM wrote:
[...]

Where do you get this from? That's BS. You have a receipt from HD, Lowes,
Acme Window Co or whoever. You purchased it from them. You never hired,
agreed, signed any contracts with any subs. You legally only have one
participant to beef with.

the installer will say "I work for Home Depot,
its their problem".
I live in SW Florida and there are plenty of contractors that
specialize in window replacement, do yourself a BIG favor and call a
couple of them.

Good Luck
George

Posted to alt.home.repair

:
:Home Depot guarantees the windows and the installation for lifetime, so that
:seems to be a benefit for them. They used licensed contractors only
required in this county). From the way the warranty is, and what they told
:me (i still need to verify with additional managers), if there is any issue
:with the install during the lifetime I live in the home, they fix it free.

I personally wouldn't do it without getting references and checking them
out. Find homes similar to yours that had their windows replaced by
these HD/state licensed contractor's, talk to the owners. Find people
who will talk to you frankly and honestly and at length, who had similar
work done recently and some time ago and determine how thorough and
reliable these guys have been. Unless you are pretty confident, don't
sign.