Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default advice on re-foaming a speaker

jakdedert wrote:
lordlewis wrote:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to

have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things

to-do
or no to-do?

Buy your supplies from Parts Express (partsexpress.com) and order

their
how-to video at the same time.

A picture is worth a.....

jak

My first 2 Advent re-foams were the ones with the masonite reducer
rings. I used a hot air gun to heat the frame to get the rings out to
clean the old foam and glue out. The kit had new dust caps and shims,
all of which worked fine. I used silicone caulk to attach the masonite
and used 24 clothespins around the perimeter to hold all in place for a
day. The ring removal was obsession on my part and would have been just
fine not removing it - like later drivers (I have 8 units).

Later drivers I didn't pull the dustcaps or use shims. These drivers
also work fine but with considerably less fuss. So far I'm 5 for 5.
BTW, the first kits were from Parts Express.

Basically, be careful, clean old junk well and don't rush. They took
years to fail and will run many more years if you do a good job.

GG