Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default advice on re-foaming a speaker

I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do
or no to-do?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article . com, "lordlewis" wrote:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do
or no to-do?

First agenda, read up using a browser.
There are probably endless pages on the web devoted to the topic, and pictures,
why elaborate?

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"lordlewis" ) writes:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do
or no to-do?

Check the faq, at http://www.repairfaq.org There is a section on speakers,
and it might have something about refoaming. It did have a useful bit
about fixing a broken wire to the voice coil, something I wouldn't
have given thought to before I saw the bit, but which did work.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

GregS wrote:
In article . com, "lordlewis" wrote:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do
or no to-do?

First agenda, read up using a browser.
There are probably endless pages on the web devoted to the topic, and pictures,
why elaborate?

greg

I have an understanding of how to-do the re-foaming. Sometimes there
can be simple things that experience can teach you but an instruction
manual can't. I wanted comments from people that have done it before.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article .com, "lordlewis" wrote:

GregS wrote:
In article . com,

"lordlewis" wrote:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do
or no to-do?

First agenda, read up using a browser.
There are probably endless pages on the web devoted to the topic, and

pictures,
why elaborate?

greg

I have an understanding of how to-do the re-foaming. Sometimes there
can be simple things that experience can teach you but an instruction
manual can't. I wanted comments from people that have done it before.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Many have commented on their
web sites.

I don't recall any problems other than the foam didn't fit right. That can be tested before you
do anything else like removing the old foam. Sometime inverting the foam curvature works.
Have good sharp, small razor edge components to cut off things, and do remove the
dustcap and use shims. Have some tape handy. Work near a sink. The glue is water
washable when not fully dry. Have alcohol handy for cleaning. Have a vacuum and a duster blower
handy to remove pieces of old foam. You don't want things to fall into the voice coil
gap. Small pieces of metal in the gap can be removed by manipulating a small screwdriver
or preferably a plastic screwdriver, and blowing with can of duster. Take a shim and
go all around clearing out any debris in the gap. Carefull gluing the ductcap. Don't let glue
drip down into gap. My preffered method of attaching dustcaps is using 5 minuite epoxy.
Have a hair dryer handy. You can speed the drying process.

I have only done a few, allthough I have treated, and, or repaired by other means
tons of speakers. Silicone rtv can do wonders. I also use a lot of Airflex 400, a flexible polimer
version of Elmers Glue. Actually, Airflex 400 is the stuff that the foam is glued back
with in the replacement kits. I also use it to add a coat to paper conned drivers.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

lordlewis wrote:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do
or no to-do?

Buy your supplies from Parts Express (partsexpress.com) and order their
how-to video at the same time.

A picture is worth a.....

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jakdedert wrote:
lordlewis wrote:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to

have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things

to-do
or no to-do?

Buy your supplies from Parts Express (partsexpress.com) and order

their
how-to video at the same time.

A picture is worth a.....

jak

My first 2 Advent re-foams were the ones with the masonite reducer
rings. I used a hot air gun to heat the frame to get the rings out to
clean the old foam and glue out. The kit had new dust caps and shims,
all of which worked fine. I used silicone caulk to attach the masonite
and used 24 clothespins around the perimeter to hold all in place for a
day. The ring removal was obsession on my part and would have been just
fine not removing it - like later drivers (I have 8 units).

Later drivers I didn't pull the dustcaps or use shims. These drivers
also work fine but with considerably less fuss. So far I'm 5 for 5.
BTW, the first kits were from Parts Express.

Basically, be careful, clean old junk well and don't rush. They took
years to fail and will run many more years if you do a good job.

GG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

lordlewis wrote:
I have an old set of AR5 acoustic research speakers that need to have
the woofers re-foamed. This will be my first time re-foaming a
speaker. Does anybody have any advice or a check list of things to-do
or no to-do?

try uk.rec.audio or rec.audio.tech. some very knowledgeable folk
there...

Ben.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Small pieces of metal in the gap can be removed by manipulating
a small screwdriver
or preferably a plastic screwdriver, and blowing with can of duster.

Just drag some sticky tape through the gap. Picks up the metal bits like
magic.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Try http://www.wooferrepair.com/

Great prices and kits include plenty of glue and a dvd with instructions. I
used their kit to repair my Cerwin Vega 12 DVCs with no problems, my first
time out. Kit includes dust covers, foams shims, glue and instructions.

Regards,
--
Bob La Rocca
Lindenhurst, NY