Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.energy,sci.environment
Bob Myers Bob Myers is offline

Default Dell's first attempt to market perpetual motion

"The Flavored Coffee Guy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Please, be serious...

Any lithium battery will explode if defective or improperly charged. No
magic there, no thermodynamics law violation.

It's a violation of the laws of thermodynamics as soon as something
that it's made of melts and it's not supposed to, or something burns
when it's not supposed to, even though they built that way.

HOW, pray tell? Please try to follow with me on the following
brief chain of reasoning.

1. Plastics typically will melt if you get them hot enough.

2. A laptop battery, when charged, contains quite a considerable
amount of energy.

3. If you let that energy out in a rapid, uncontrolled fashion, it's
not unreasonable to think that things in the immediate vicinity
are going to get hot.

4. Given the above, we might expect to see any plastics in
the vicinity - including, say, those that formed the case of the
battery in question - melting.

OK, at what point in the above did we violate the laws of
thermogoddamics?

Bob M.