Posted to uk.d-i-y
JupiterJon JupiterJon is offline

Default Insulation for solid walls

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just removed the chimney breast from the rear of my victorian
terrace and noticed that even though there is no real cavity there is a
gap of about an inch. I'm about to brick up the whole left by the
chimney breast but wondered if there is anything I can put in the small
cavity to improve the insulation.

On a related point, I have been browsing the web trying to find out how
to improve the insulation of solid walls. There is plently of general
advice -it sounds like the best option is external insulation- but I
can't find a company who actually supply the materials required or a
company which will install external insulation.

Does anyone have experience with this? I live in Aldershot, Hampshire.

Considering the number of houses in the UK with solid walls it is
surprisingly hard to persue this option. Loft insulation and cavity
wall insulation seem to get all the attention. I suppose these
approaches have a better return on investment, but I can't see all the
victorian houses being demolished any time soon so I would expect to
find more companies offering solutions.

thanks
Thomas

External insulation is a possibility but in my similar age property I intend
to insulate the walls-without-windows internally and put double glazing in
the walls with windows (sash box removal). This leaves the existing sash
box and nice appearance and while not perfect shoudl be much better than
oringally.
The rooms are reasonably large in my case and it can be done room by room.
One thing I know I will have to be careful with in ssealing between the cold
wall and the now warmer wall to prevent condensation.
There may be better ways.

2p
Jon