Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Taking apart and rebuilding

On 17 Aug 2006 13:57:29 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

Im interested in creating a stand similar to the following:
http://www.tameshigiri.com/make_a_stand_2.html

However, I need the base to be separated from the post.
The only problem I foresee is it's "strength" as I will have to
take it apart (to transport easier) and set it back up repeatedly.
Using screws or lag bolts would be ideal but after a few times I'm
sure I'll have to redrill new holes. Does anyone have any
suggestions for making this more sturdy for the repetitious setup and
takedowns? I was thinking some bolts to go all the way through the
base and post to other side and using wingnuts or something. Maybe
metal plates at the base to prevent the holes from widening? I'm
pretty handy, but just don't do much woodworking to know all the tips
and tricks you guys have.

Just off the top of my head, if, as you say, you're going to be taking
apart and reassembling repeatedly, what you want to do is avoid having
the connection devices (bolts) also function as the locating
device(s). I'd be inclined to add dowels and holes (two) in each piece
to locate the part and then use through bolts (now the bolts can be as
sloppy as you want, which, by the way, aids assembly/disassembly).

Each pair of bolts will clamp two opposing base arms. Obviously you'll
need to have two of them located in a diagonal arrangement and the
other two parallel to the floor (so they don't interfere with each
other), or some arrangement of your own choosing that will do the job.
All four on the diagonal won't work.

I like the bolts and wing nut idea. Get some of the plastic handled
"fixture" nuts--much easier to work with than hardware store wing
nuts. If you tried to use carriage bolts, you'd eventually, as you
suspect, jimmy the holes.

Another thing to consider: when you first assemble this thing, all
four of the legs are going to sit nicely level on the floor. Over
time, the locaters might not keep everything perfectly aligned, and
the stand may develop a wobble. You can counteract much of this by
relieving the four legs so that there's a "pad" out at the end. The
downside of this is that all of the weight on the post will then
transferred through the joint at the bottom and out to the feet. That
adds a lot of stress to the joint where the legs meet the posts. Might
not be worth the modification, but being aware of it means it won't be
a surprise when the wobble does develop and you'll have a...er, uh,
leg up on a potential solution.

Good luck.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.