Posted to alt.home.repair
ESM ESM is offline

Default Window Retrofit in frame home

Home is frame with stucco on the outside. I've talked to a few people and
they all say a retrofit on a frame with stucco house can be very labor
intensive. It usually involves chipping out stucco around the entire
window, pulling the window, refitting, and re-stucco.

Home Depot guarantees the windows and the installation for lifetime, so that
seems to be a benefit for them. They used licensed contractors only
(required in this county). From the way the warranty is, and what they told
me (i still need to verify with additional managers), if there is any issue
with the install during the lifetime I live in the home, they fix it free.

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

ESM wrote:
I'm down in Central Florida and am pricing out replacement windows. I
called Home Depot and got a price on their Simonton windows that they
install for you. This is a higher grade window then what they offer
in-store.

The windows are all dual pane, argon filled, low E, double hung, all
vinyl.
Since it's FL, they are rated for hurricane winds up to 120mph. The
installed price for 8 windows, 1 5' slider, and 1 6' slider is $10,500.
This includes the following window sizes:

3 @ 34x75, 1 @ 52x49, 1 @ 52x37, 2 @ 36x49, 1 @ 18x35, 1 @ 5' slider, 1 @
6'
slider. As you can see, I do have some larger windows.

I'm trying to determine how good or bad this price is given the type of
window and the sizes. Any thoughts?

Seems high to me but I'm in NE. Is your home standard frame
construction or concrete of some sort? What material is on the
exterior of your home (wood, vinyl, stucco, etc.)? Replacement windows
usually leave some portion of the existing window frame intact so the
condition of those is important.

Cost aside, I would not have windows installed by a Home Cheapo
contractor. A few extra bucks is money well spent on an upgrade you
will probably only do once.