Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Window Retrofit in frame home

ESM wrote:
I'm down in Central Florida and am pricing out replacement windows. I
called Home Depot and got a price on their Simonton windows that they
install for you. This is a higher grade window then what they offer
in-store.

The windows are all dual pane, argon filled, low E, double hung, all vinyl.
Since it's FL, they are rated for hurricane winds up to 120mph. The
installed price for 8 windows, 1 5' slider, and 1 6' slider is $10,500.
This includes the following window sizes:

3 @ 34x75, 1 @ 52x49, 1 @ 52x37, 2 @ 36x49, 1 @ 18x35, 1 @ 5' slider, 1 @ 6'
slider. As you can see, I do have some larger windows.

I'm trying to determine how good or bad this price is given the type of
window and the sizes. Any thoughts?

Really hard to say on the price but I would get a couple estimates from
REAL window companies. Home Depot subs the work out and it is quite
unlikely that you'll be getting a truly competent installer not to
mention the fact that if (when) you have a problem with the windows or
installation NO ONE will take ownership of it Home Despot will say "its
the subs problem" the installer will say "I work for Home Depot, its
their problem".
I live in SW Florida and there are plenty of contractors that
specialize in window replacement, do yourself a BIG favor and call a
couple of them.

Good Luck
George