Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default attaching a label to a turning

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:46:45 -0600, william kossack
wrote:

Almost everything I turn goes through at least the wax wheel of the Beall, even
the friction polished ones... the wax is food safe and both removable scotch
tape and the sticky-dots stick to the surface..

I'll have to try something. I think a big problem is the people taking
care of the booth have certain requirments for the tags they want. Most
other booths have string attached to the item and a paper tag attached
to the string.

Another problem is that many of my bowls are simply soaked in mineral
oil. Stickers will not stick to them.

I had a discussion with my wife last night if a bowl finished in lacquer
could be consider food safe. Stuff easily sticks to lacquer but putting
food in a lacquer bowl would not be very good for the bowl in my view

wrote:
Hi William

Take a look at one of my albums, the first 2 photos show some bowls and
other turnings with the stickers we use, they stay on pretty good most
of the time.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum23.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

william kossack wrote:

tonight we tried several approaches
Tape did not work
something called tacky stick or sticky putty stuff did not work very
well either

much of what we were trying were hollow forms out of aspen

We ended up using a bit of hot melt glue just on the inside lip of the
hollow form with a length of string to attach the price/information tag.

We still have a problem with bowls.

william kossack wrote:

I have some turnings that I wanted to try and sell but the problem is
attaching price labels to them.

I'm looking for a way of attaching labels to the bottom of a bowl or a
vase that will stick without damaging the surface. Most bottoms are not
currently finished but are smooth and sanded.

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis