Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon Ken  Moon is offline

Default attaching a label to a turning

"william kossack" wrote in message
I'll have to try something. I think a big problem is the people taking
care of the booth have certain requirments for the tags they want. Most
other booths have string attached to the item and a paper tag attached to
the string.

Another problem is that many of my bowls are simply soaked in mineral oil.
Stickers will not stick to them.

I had a discussion with my wife last night if a bowl finished in lacquer
could be consider food safe. Stuff easily sticks to lacquer but putting
food in a lacquer bowl would not be very good for the bowl in my view

I think the Japanese eat from their "lacquer ware". The main problem I see
with lacquer in a "dish" use would be the brittle nature of lacquer, and it
would be prone to chipping when used with metal utensils. I guess the
Japanese chopsticks wouldn't pose such a problem. Lacquer imparts a great
impervious surface, but once chipped, liquid infiltration can damage the
wood underneath. Acrylic lacquers are more flexible, but not quite so easy
to use, IHMO.

Ken Moon
W3ebberville, TX.