Posted to alt.home.repair
ron580 ron580 is offline

Default Flared gas line fittings - hex'd housing bottoming out before flare fitting

James:
As I recall, gas lines come in both flare and compression
coupling...you probably have a compression fitting...they will go
together(same thread) but will not be gas tight...take that line back
to OSH and get another one or go to a different hardware store...also
make sure you check for a gas leak at all connections with either soapy
water or leak check (basically the same thing)...if there are bubbles
the connection is leaking...if all else fails call a plumber...its
expensive but cheaper than your house or family.
Ron
James wrote:
I was working on installing our dryer tonight (old dryer, moved to a
different residence).

I went to Orchard Supply Hardware to buy a gas line. The gas line said
it's for heaters, stoves, fireplaces, and wall heaters. The guy at the
store said it's fine for a dryer also.

So, I go to install it, and the hex portion of the fittings bottomed
out before the flared fittings sealed, meaning they didn't really seal.

Are there different types of flared fittings?

The bag says they're 3/8" Flare connection nuts.

I ended up replacing the fittings on the dryer with fittings that had a
longer thread engagement, but now will likely have to do the same at
the wall, since I realized later the valve coming out of the wall has
the same problem (which I'm not looking forward to - I don't really
want to mess with the wall pipe if I don't have to).

Are there different lengths of 3/8" male flared fittings? Is there an
adapter available?

Thanks for any tips.

-James