Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Pool / hot tub question

We're shopping for a new pool and hot tub (1st time) and someone told my
DW to avoid getting the two right next to each other - to put the hot
tub a few feet away. Is there any good reason to do this?

JustDave

The thing is to make them separate units. A spa/pool combo has common
plumbing, thus, some water exchange. I have seen spas that
cascade/waterfall into the pool. Lots of heated water going into the pool.

It will cost a lot less to have the spa heated by itself, as spas only have
about 400 gallons or so. They are insulated, and have covers. Typically,
spas are also not used during the hot months. Pools are. Having them
totally separated and isolated will save you energy costs.

Now, as to whether cosmetically you want to have them close together, that's
up to you. Just remember that a spa has electricity and circuits in it, and
putting it close to 35,000 gallons of water has its hazards. In this case,
huddle with the pool and spa guys to make a safe combination if you want
them close to one another.

Steve, who has two spas and one pool.