Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool / hot tub question

We're shopping for a new pool and hot tub (1st time) and someone told my DW
to avoid getting the two right next to each other - to put the hot tub a few
feet away. Is there any good reason to do this?

Can anyone recommend a good pool contractor they've used in the Clermont,
Florida area?

TIA

JustDave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JustDave" wrote in message
We're shopping for a new pool and hot tub (1st time) and someone told my
DW to avoid getting the two right next to each other - to put the hot tub
a few feet away. Is there any good reason to do this?

Can anyone recommend a good pool contractor they've used in the Clermont,
Florida area?

TIA

JustDave

The "someone" was probably advising not to have the two tied together. We
had a hot tub adjacent to our pool. When the filter for the pool ran it had
to empty the hot tub water into the pool as part of the circulation plan.
Thus, we would lose all of the hot water to the pool. We seldom used it
because we had to take time to heat the tub from scratch every time which
took an hour or so to do. You could heat the tub and save it for the next
use but then you couldn't run the pool filter. A real pain.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom G" wrote in message

"JustDave" wrote in message
[...]

AHA! Now I understand. Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to get it
plumbed right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We're shopping for a new pool and hot tub (1st time) and someone told my
DW to avoid getting the two right next to each other - to put the hot
tub a few feet away. Is there any good reason to do this?

JustDave

The thing is to make them separate units. A spa/pool combo has common
plumbing, thus, some water exchange. I have seen spas that
cascade/waterfall into the pool. Lots of heated water going into the pool.

It will cost a lot less to have the spa heated by itself, as spas only have
about 400 gallons or so. They are insulated, and have covers. Typically,
spas are also not used during the hot months. Pools are. Having them
totally separated and isolated will save you energy costs.

Now, as to whether cosmetically you want to have them close together, that's
up to you. Just remember that a spa has electricity and circuits in it, and
putting it close to 35,000 gallons of water has its hazards. In this case,
huddle with the pool and spa guys to make a safe combination if you want
them close to one another.

Steve, who has two spas and one pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JustDave" wrote

snip snip

Just an aside ......... I have solar heating. When I want to drain the spa
to put in new water, I pump out into the pool. Then, to fill, I draw water
from the pool, which is about 85 degrees, and not 60 as comes out of the tap
to fill the spa. That converts to five hours less of heating, as my spa
heats at 5 degrees an hour when refilling.

Steve