Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Day Bill Day is offline

Default attaching a label to a turning

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:20:24 -0600, william kossack
wrote:

I have some turnings that I wanted to try and sell but the problem is
attaching price labels to them.

I'm looking for a way of attaching labels to the bottom of a bowl or a
vase that will stick without damaging the surface. Most bottoms are not
currently finished but are smooth and sanded.

It really depends on where you are showing, and what the price range
and ......ummmmm.....'quality' of your work. In elite shows or
galleries, one adopts a more formal method.

I do about 6 shows a year, 1-2 in Spring and 4-5 in Fall, and have
simply used little white stickers on most items. The exception is
large, heavy and/or expensive pieces which are not convenient to pick
up. For those, I make a small card to place near it. (Also, some woods
are oily, and labels will not hold well)

I have sold stuff from $5 to $400, and never felt like it was tacky,
awkward or tedious to have an easily removable small label. I make
items from tiny Tagua nut vessels to 14" bowls and platters, and on
'most' of them, it would be a lot harder to attach other types of
price labels.

You just do what seems easiest and is relevant to the type of pieces
YOU make and the shows you attend.