Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Michael Latcha Michael Latcha is offline

Default attaching a label to a turning

I've been through most of the ideas presented so far, and non have worked
well for me at all. I absolutely agree that a price-tag label looks tacky,
always.

What I've evolved to is group pricing for my rent-payers on cards, as
suggested above, and my bowls and boxes are never visibly priced. I have a
display structure that I built many years ago and as I arrange my
bowls/boxes at a show, I take note of where each is and write the price on a
piece of paper that goes behind the display for reference (my daughters
often join me at shows). As patrons wander through they have to ask for the
prices of the bowls and boxes... and if we've gotten that far, they've
already picked up the item, run their hand over it, we've talked about how
it was made, etc.

I've found that many people cruise through a show, flipping over stuff to
find out how much it costs and moving on, as though it was a race. If I can
get people to slow down, pick up a bowl that has caught their eye and start
a conversation about it, I've got them.

My bowl and box sales went way up when I took the price tags off them.

"william kossack" wrote in message
. ..
I have some turnings that I wanted to try and sell but the problem is
attaching price labels to them.

I'm looking for a way of attaching labels to the bottom of a bowl or a
vase that will stick without damaging the surface. Most bottoms are not
currently finished but are smooth and sanded.