Posted to alt.home.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default copper or cpvc water pipes?

wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:13:15 -0500,
wrote:

But copper wont crack when someone bumps into it, CPVC will.
Copper wont sag between the hangers, CPVC does.
Copper dont shatter when a screw on fitting is over tightened, CPVC
does.
Copper dont make the hot water taste like plastic, CPVC does.

Your union rep teach you that?

You can take a piece of CPVC pipe and pound it flat with a hammer and
not shatter it. U/V damaged white PVC gerts brittle but that is
usually after about 10 years in the Florida sun. People use PVC pipe
for guides on boat trailers and boat lifts here in South Florida. If
it was as brittle as you say it would snap off the fist time the wind
caught your boat. That is not what happens.

I'm in Arizona, and the PVC pipe I've seen turns brittle a lot earlier
than ten years, unless it's covered with white latex paint, and even
PVC conduit made to be UV resistant starts showing brown-purple spots
after a year. About the only PVC that seems impervious to sunlight
here is the kind used for siding and rain gutters.

Why isn't CPVC used more for plumbing? It seems like the perfect pipe
to me, except when for resistance against gophers gnawing on it.