Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default Where to turn from Amazon

Yeah I noticed Maher's mug the last time I logged on. I won't quit using
them but I am very surprised that a seemingly market-savvey group like
Amazon would alienate about 1/2 of the world by using him. Actually, I buy
many items offered by Amazon cheaper from locals.

A couple of ideas:

http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx
A lot of the folks who hang around here, including myself, use them and I
don't recall ever seeing a sour post about them. Good products, great
variety and very good service. If you haven't used them I would recommend
logging on and ordering ALL OF THEIR CATALOGUES. When they arrive those
alone will keep you busy for a couple of evenings. Even the wife enjoys
looking through the tool and garden catalogues. Lots of neat stuff.

http://www.grizzly.com/
Perhaps a little more controversy here. Some love 'em, some don't. I have
had excellent luck with their products and service. We have also been to
their Springfield showroom and it is first-class. In addition to their own
line of tools and equipment they also sell Dewalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee
and lots of other lines. They also sell items that are difficult to find
otherwise. Here again, order a copy of their paper catalogue and reserve an
evening for browsing. But you can order anything on-line too.

There are others like Woodcraft, http://www.woodcraft.com/, but their
prices seem to be on a continual climb. They do handle some more
specialized items like specialized hand-saws, etc but you can get most of
that from Lee Valley.

RonB

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just went to amazon and was surprised by their commercial/sponsorship
of Bill Maher. I closed my account with them.

So now where do I turn to buy tools online? I have only ever made one
other tool purchase online and it was from www.holbren.com when I
wanted to try an inexpensive raised panel set.

Any recommendations of online stores that sell tools?