Gunner

Default Saddam rumor true?

On 24 Dec 2003 13:27:57 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Gunner says...

You do understand that we are recovering from a recession, are you
not?

Oddly enought the article in the NY Times yesterday
said that even throughout the recession, business
profits have been steadily increasing. The number
of unemployed however is still not going down at
this time, and wages are not going up.

The article made the point that I've been stressing
all along, that the unemployed workers are being
counted on to buy stuff, to stimulate the economy,
which will not happen until they either a) get a
job if they're unemployed, or b) get a raise if
they are employed.

Jim

Personal income tax revenues are a drop in the bucket in total amounts
of tax revenues generated IRRC.

On a side note..a lot of those jobs are never coming back. Period. End
program, full stop.

Companies that have survived the DotCom explosion and the recession
have gotten lean and mean, became more productive with less labor
costs. Hence more product with less employees. Business generated
tax revenues will continue to climb because of the tax cut, however as
you stated, personal income tax revenues will stay static or fall some
as people take lower paying jobs to stay afloat.

Cites to the contrary?

Gunner

'If you own a gun and have a swimming pool in the yard, the swimming
pool is almost 100 times more likely to kill a child than the gun is.'"
Steven Levitt, UOC prof.