Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Jig -Fixture-Template - Politically Correct

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:34:06 -0700, "Teamcasa"
wrote:

I recently attended a conference where the lawyer that was lecturing stated
the term jig should not be allowed in the shops any longer. They should be
referred to as fixtures or templates or devices!

Just one reason I love LA ~

Here's a couple along the same line:

You may recall the D.C. city aide that was fired several years ago
(although sensibly rehired) after having used "niggardly" in a speech
to the locals. Protests aplenty from plenty who had no idea what that
word means.

More locally, I was an air traffic controller for 30 years. We used
plastic holders--about 1½x8" to hold the strips that we used to record
data on each flight we were working. The strips were held in a
vertical steel bay that could accommodate 19 strips. There were
anywhere from two to five bays per sector. Anyway, ATC protocol is
whenever something needs to be done with a particular flight that you
can't do immediately you cock the strip--that is lift one end, slide
the strip to the right or left, and let the far end hold the strip up,
out of the plane of the rest of the strips on that edge.

Anyway, sometime in the '90s, someone got a wild hair that "cock" was
not an appropriate word to use in the modern, sensitive, gender
neutral environment we were now working in. So, ignoring the
particular definition of "cock" in use, even though it was correct,
and ignoring other variations such as "cock" (rooster), "cock"
(valve), and "cock" as in cocked hat, all of which can be comfortably
used in mixed company, so far as I know, they started teaching "tilt"
at the Academy. It just made me want to scream. I'm glad I left in
'97.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.