Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jig -Fixture-Template - Politically Correct

I recently attended a conference where the lawyer that was lecturing stated
the term jig should not be allowed in the shops any longer. They should be
referred to as fixtures or templates or devices!

Just one reason I love LA ~

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
I recently attended a conference where the lawyer that was lecturing
stated the term jig should not be allowed in the shops any longer.
They should be referred to as fixtures or templates or devices!

Just one reason I love LA ~

Dave

My understanding of the word *Jig* is a device that can be altred to suit a
particulr size.
So it is politcally incorrect and should not be confused with the word
*Template* which is a fixed sized device.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:34:06 -0700, "Teamcasa"
wrote:

I recently attended a conference where the lawyer that was lecturing stated
the term jig should not be allowed in the shops any longer. They should be
referred to as fixtures or templates or devices!

Just one reason I love LA ~

Here's a couple along the same line:

You may recall the D.C. city aide that was fired several years ago
(although sensibly rehired) after having used "niggardly" in a speech
to the locals. Protests aplenty from plenty who had no idea what that
word means.

More locally, I was an air traffic controller for 30 years. We used
plastic holders--about 1½x8" to hold the strips that we used to record
data on each flight we were working. The strips were held in a
vertical steel bay that could accommodate 19 strips. There were
anywhere from two to five bays per sector. Anyway, ATC protocol is
whenever something needs to be done with a particular flight that you
can't do immediately you cock the strip--that is lift one end, slide
the strip to the right or left, and let the far end hold the strip up,
out of the plane of the rest of the strips on that edge.

Anyway, sometime in the '90s, someone got a wild hair that "cock" was
not an appropriate word to use in the modern, sensitive, gender
neutral environment we were now working in. So, ignoring the
particular definition of "cock" in use, even though it was correct,
and ignoring other variations such as "cock" (rooster), "cock"
(valve), and "cock" as in cocked hat, all of which can be comfortably
used in mixed company, so far as I know, they started teaching "tilt"
at the Academy. It just made me want to scream. I'm glad I left in
'97.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod said:

Anyway, sometime in the '90s, someone got a wild hair that "cock" was
not an appropriate word to use in the modern, sensitive, gender
neutral environment we were now working in. So, ignoring the
particular definition of "cock" in use, even though it was correct,

I recall being chastised rather severely for using the word "bitch" in
mixed company. The conversation at that point had touched on dog
breeding.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

snip

Interesting. As a general rule, _lawyers_ are not allowed in my shop.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Some lawyers make good pushsticks....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob Lee" wrote...

Some lawyers make good pushsticks....

Mr Lee, always good to hear from you.

You may want to rethink your comment about using lawyers for pushsticks.

On account that lawyers are often slippery. And a general safety hazard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Rob Lee" wrote...

Some lawyers make good pushsticks....

Mr Lee, always good to hear from you.

You may want to rethink your comment about using lawyers for pushsticks.

On account that lawyers are often slippery. And a general safety hazard.

Not after they are dead.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What was the lawyers recommendation as to how they should refer to
their Jig Saws?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
What was the lawyers recommendation as to how they should refer to
their Jig Saws?

Saber Saws or Scroll Saws. The jig saw is or has been been called both.

But on another note, how about , The Jig is up, or Can you dance the Jig?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:22:19 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
What was the lawyers recommendation as to how they should refer to
their Jig Saws?

Saber Saws or Scroll Saws. The jig saw is or has been been called both.

But on another note, how about , The Jig is up, or Can you dance the Jig?

Or gigahertz or gigabyte.

For those who pronounce them correctly.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
What was the lawyers recommendation as to how they should refer to
their Jig Saws?

Reciprocating toothed cutting machine ~

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rob Lee"
Some lawyers make good pushsticks....

Only certain parts of them - properly cured and dried~

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
"Rob Lee"
Some lawyers make good pushsticks....

Only certain parts of them - properly cured and dried~

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

But only from the 95% that give the others a bad name.
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I recently attended a conference where the lawyer that was lecturing stated
the term jig should not be allowed in the shops any longer. They should be
referred to as fixtures or templates or devices!

Just one reason I love LA ~

Here's a couple along the same line:

You may recall the D.C. city aide that was fired several years ago
(although sensibly rehired) after having used "niggardly" in a speech
to the locals. Protests aplenty from plenty who had no idea what that
word means.

More locally, I was an air traffic controller for 30 years.

What was your status during the strike in 81?

Just curious - I'm a Pilot (private/IFR) so I know some ATC types and
most were hired after the strike.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:28:34 -0400, Joe Bemier
wrote:

What was your status during the strike in 81?

Just curious - I'm a Pilot (private/IFR) so I know some ATC types and
most were hired after the strike.

I spent 20 months "on the street." I eventually won my appeal (we all
appealed) and was reinstated.

As a matter of fact, I just met last week with a couple of hundred
fellow controllers from the Class of '81 during which we commemorated
the 25th anniversary.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 01:23:50 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

I recall being chastised rather severely for using the word "bitch" in
mixed company. The conversation at that point had touched on dog breeding.

Me too ... only the word in question was "whelp"; used in reference to the
woman who lived across the hallway from me.

;-)