Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default Super-powered Splinters

On 9 Aug 2006 15:30:47 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

I'm not sure if it's Doug Fir or Hemlock that's in there, but I've got
a splinter that's really putting out the puss. And the thing is, I
thought I got the whole thing out. Are there certain species that are
more splinterific than others?

JP
I'm breaking out the scratch awl next.

I get some from time-to-time that I cannot remove or cannot remove
completely. They will fester and as someone mentions above, your body
will respond by sending an army of white cells to fight the foreign
body.
Going to the doc is not always my first approach. I'll rip it open
fairly well, let it drain and then put on a bandage with lots of
Neosporin. If it is small enough , your bodys response will disolve it
over time.
I only go to the doc if I see a red line moving from the site up my
arm.
Going to the doc will mean hours of waiting, an ultrasound to locate
it, etc. If it is very small the US may not pick it up. In that case
they will send you home to wait and see.

JMO - keep an eye on it for sure.