Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal Zootal is offline

Default copper or cpvc water pipes?

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

Zootal wrote:
My house has cpvc water pipes - the person who owned it before me
re-plumbed
the house and this is what he used. Is this superior to copper? Is one
preferred over the other?

For durability, I doubt there is much difference. Copper will corode
and CPVC won't but...

For ease of maintenance and making changes, it is CPVC hands down.

Harry K

I've always used copper. Very durable and strong. If I have to change
something, I solder them together, ready to go, no waiting for glue to dry.
However, gluing is admittedly faster and easier then soldering, and modern
pvc glues dry in full strength in a few hours. How strong is cpvc? I'm
afraid I'll accidently hit the pipe and break it, or twisting it when I
thread a fitting on and break it. I keep thinking of PVC, which is
relatively brittle.