Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Leon wrote:

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 06:51:22 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Well, in all the restaurants I ever cooked in neither I nor any other
person in the kitchen ever saw a penny of the tips. The waiters in one
place used to moan about only making $20-$30 an hour in tips (back in
the 70's!) while as the lead line cook I only made about $6.

I have a nephew that was working to become a Su Chef and had been in the
business since the early 90's until recently. When I asked him several
years ago about tips for the cooking staff he simply laughed. This is in
Houston.

Depends on managerial policy. Some places the waiter keeps the tip, others
they are pooled and divvied with percentages going to staff other than the
cook. Places that have a maitre'd and a sommelier are more likely to work
this way than are those in which there is one server to a customer.

I always assume that they are divvied if it makes a difference and have been
known to give written instructions as to who gets what. If you're not sure
then ask.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate