Posted to rec.woodworking
zap zap is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

Here is a Rant, if you do not want to read it, just go on to the next
message.

When I have bad service from a waitress, I do not have to wait until I
am leaving the restaurant to speak to a manager. I have gone up to the
manager and asked for what I wanted for my table telling him that my
waitress was nowhere to be found, or whatever they were doing. It is
amazing how fast the service improves.

And as for a manager who is indifferent, a letter to the owner of the
restaurant, or to the President of the chain that owns the restaurant,
usually results in at least an attitude correction of the manager, or a
replacement of the manager. It really is amazing the things that
happens when the complaint works its way down instead of up.

My letters have resulted in more than one manager change, and that
includes all kinds of businesses, not just in restaurants. Just give the
very top officers of a company documentation of how a manager is
mistreating the customers, or give them just a hint of what some of
these yo-yos are suggesting that they can, and will, do if they cannot
extort protection money out of someone, and they will be history, gone
and buried.

Now, as for giving tips for service. When I make a contract, I see to
it that all charges for what services that I will receive is spelled out
in writing. Non of this he said, they said stuff. If my contract calls
for them to set my shipment on the ground, then that is what they had
better do, and no extra hidden charge. I don't care if the delivery
person has to pick up a 500 lb. package and jump down to the street
level without damaging it, that is their problem how they get it down to
the street level to fulfill the contract. But when that delivery person
goes beyond what the contract calls for, they I do believe in offering
them a tip. Some will take it, some won't.

A tip or gratuity is for service over and above what has been contracted
for. In a restaurant, for the price on the menu, it is a normal
contract between the customer and the management that for a fixed price
there will be the table set accordingly, the food and drinks delivered
to the table. Now if that is all that the waitress does then why should
I pay her for exactly what the restaurant is paying her. After all that
is what she agreed to work for. Just as what you, or I, agree to work
for on any job, If we do not like the pay, then leave for a better
paying job. I do not expect tips when I fix your car, and I do not
expect tips when I fix your airplane, and I do not expect tips when I
cut your grass that you contracted with me to do. I set my price. Period.

Do I give tips? Absolutely I have and will, when I receive good service
over and above what is contracted for. I have given as much as a 100%
tip on one occasion, for the waitress was worth every cent. And another
who on her asking what else she could do for us, I said Jokingly for her
to give me the money to pay for the meal, upon which she dug into her
tip pocket and put a handful of money on my table then walked away. You
can be sure that she not only got back every penny but also more than
double what she laid on the table.

If you want a tip from me, you are going to have to do more than just
what the contract says. I do not give just because you expect it. My
money is hard to come by, maybe even harder to come by than that they
have earned. I grew up in an era when people took pride in whatever
work that they did. While there are still some of you out there who
still has that work ethic, it is becoming as rare as hen's teeth. I see
too many today who believes that everyone should pay them for doing
nothing. I know that you see they too.

When I was growing up, if I mis behaved in public, I got a size 10 hand
on my size 4 bottom in a big hurry, and it did not have to be applied
very often. Today obnoxious children in a restaurant is common. so
common that when I see parents in a restaurant who have well behaved
children, I always go up to them and thank them for their well behaved
children.

So much for the RANT. If you feel that you should double everyones pay,
then throw some my way, I would appreciate a little help to go along
with my SS.

Zap

Steve B wrote:
"grappletech" wrote

I left her a penny tip and called the

manager about her. Buttholes don't deserve to be rewarded with tips.

Whenever I get bad service, bad food, or just bad anything, I NEVER EVER
leave without a face to face with the manager to let them know. In many
cases, it is not the restaurant's doing, and they appreciate the heads up.

We had two OBNOXIOUS children in a booth near us at a Mexican restaurant one
night. Screaming and running around. I have been going to this restaurant
chain for decades. When I complained to the manager, she said, "This IS a
family restaurant." I did the meanest nastiest thing I could. I told her
that she would get no more of my business, that I would bring no more family
or guests to the restaurant, and would not suggest it when asked for a good
Mexican restaurant.

Her attitude was, whatever.

Usually they appreciate being told about a crappy server or cook. AND I
will also go to the trouble of turning in a good report on an exceptionally
good performance.

But I always do it face to face. One time I got a $100 gift certificate at
a really good restaurant for reporting something I didn't like.

Steve