Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday W Canaday is offline

Default Are you supposed to tip a freight delivery driver?

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:31:28 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I can tell you never ran into a real freight man. They have the power to
send your stuff to Cleveland if they want to. And do all sorts of things
to hold up your business, freight, and heartbeat.

I used to love running into your types. I was a Teamster, and knew 98
ways to make your **** disappear for long periods of time.

Steve

So Steve, did you consider this to be 'doing your job'? The way I see
it, somebody already paid your employer to deliver the freight and your
employer has already agreed to pay you for delivering the freight and then
you stand there and DON'T DELIVER THE FREIGHT.

I presently AM a Teamster and formerly was a UTU guy (Conrail ... when we
lost freight we lost boxcar loads at a time!). It was my job to deliver
the freight -on time and in good condition- ... AND THAT'S WHAT I DID.

For my part, if the driver does much more than simply pull up and
wait while I unload, then he's probably done something extra and should be
slipped a couple extra skins for his effort. But if all he does is sit
while I unload and then retaliates the lack of an (unearned) tip, then
I'll simply specify a different common carrier with my next order. And he
won't get ANY money from my next purchase. Not even his wages.

Times are tough. You want the money? Do the work.

Bill