Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Grounding wire from panel to gas pipe???

In article , Bud-- wrote:

Your fact is not consistent with what you said:
“The electrical system has its own, *separate* grounding electrode.
Metal water piping is bonded to the electrical system grounding
electrodes to ensure that the metal water piping cannot become live,
*not* to provide a ground for the electrical system.”

I do not see how "*not* to provide a ground for the electrical system"
can be read other than the water pipe is not to be a grounding electrode
and the system grounding is provided by the system's "own, *separate*
grounding electrode."

It's real simple: the water pipe is bonded to the other grounding electrodes,
not to provide a ground for the electrical system -- that's what the *other*
electrodes are there for, remember? -- but to ensure that the metal water
piping is always at the same potential as the electrical system's ground and
therefore cannot become live no matter *what* might go wrong electrically.

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time grasping this... but you really
need to spend a little more time educating yourself before you post again.

--
Regards,