Posted to alt.home.repair
G G is offline

Default Frost buildup in ice dispenser

Ours had frost, but not so heavy. The flap on the ice despenser (where
the ice comes out) looked like it was sealed tight, but I removed and
reinstalled it and all was well. Guess it doesn't take much of a leak
for frost to form in hot weather,

wrote:
We have a Kenmore Cold Spot 59592990 side by side refrigerator/freezer.
It's been extremely ok. Much of the workmanship is disappointing, but
it has met our needs.
Recently, the ice dispenser has been causing problems. The bottom of
the freezer-part-dispenser (the part that feeds the ice to the
door-part-dispenser) gets a coating of frost (thick-type frost), as
does the top of the door-part-dispenser.
The frost accumulates inside the freezer (door-part) dispenser to the
point where it blocks ice from being dispensed. Then we open up the
door and the blocked ice spills all over the place.
As far as we can tell, the freezer door closes properly, and we're not
seeing any obvious gaps in the dispenser tube/flap (obviously, I'm not
a real technical person when it comes to refrigerators, so I hope I'm
painting a clear enough picture).
Do we need a repair person, or is there something we can try ourselves?
Thanks very much.