Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend Scott Townsend is offline

Default Water Storage Tank - Plumbing the Pump & Pressure Tank

thanks guys for the help.

The Elevation will be interesting. If I always have the 2500 gallons in it
and either draw from the bottom, or from the 2500 gallon mark, the elevation
would be 4-5 above where the pump would be at the well head.

So I think that should be sufficient enough to get the water to the pump
from the tank.

I like the Idea of Drawing down Low and putting in a Cut off if it gets to
below 2500. That way I'm recircing the water and not letting the bottom 2500
just sit there. Yeah I know it wont really get stagnant there, but it would
be better circulation if I drew from the bottom. I have all the sensors &
Control for that.

Thanks All again...

Scott-

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Townsend wrote:
Okay, So I know I left quite a few things out. Let me see if I can
answer
some of the Questions.

The Tank's Main purpose is to be in compliance with the Fire Safe
Standards
(we are in Northern CA on 2.5 acres)
It requires me to have 2500 Gallons of Water to be used at any time for a
Hydrant hookup. So the Hydrant is connected to the bottom on the Tank to
be
able to draw the full potential of the tank. The Domestic Supply is at
the
2500 gallon level so I would always have at least the 2500 gallons needed
for Fire Safe Standards.

Maybe Booster Pump is the wrong term. The Pump that will pressurize the
domestic supply line.

Since we can run our well Dry by running the sprinklers for several
hours,
we wanted to be able to store the water and use it from the store and
just
slowly refill the tank as needed.

I work for an Industrial control and automation company and have access
sensors and controls that will deal with the water flow, level of the
tank
and filling of the Tank, etc.

So Drawing #2, not as pretty but to Scale and more functional.
http://www.enm.com/scott/fire-safe-standards.pdf

So I'd like to know where I should place the Pump and Pressure Tank for
the
Domestic Supply line. Should I put it all near the Well, or should I put
it
near the Storage Tank?

I'd rather put it near the Well, so I do not have to bring 240v out to
the
Storage Tank.

Thanks!

Good thinking on the tank. Makes sense.

Booster Pump is the correct and the technical term. Usually used to
increase the pressure above the incoming pressure.

Where to place the pump/tank - whereever is convenient and
cost-effective. There is some consideration to be made re 'suck vs
push' but with at least a few pounds of pressure input to the pump it
shouldn't be a problem. The pump pressure switch does need to have
'low pressure' cut-off. Lots of them have it as part of the regular
switch.

Looks like your storage tank is about 60 ft from the house. I don't
see any elevations on the drawing. That could enter into the pump/tank
location question. Figure .5 psi per foot head to see what the input
pressure to your booster pump will be at various locations. The true
head pressure is .46 per foot but the .5 makes some allowance for
pipe/fitting restrictions and will be close enough for government work.
Best location IMO for the pump/tank is in the house. Easy
maintenance, no worries about freezing, etc.

Harry K