B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default Leasing industrial space for hobby use

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:39:35 GMT, "AL"
wrote:

Has anyone tried renting industrial space for hobby use?

I've done this with many, many bands, but not woodworking. I don't
see why it would be all that different with woodworking.

Tips:
Talk to some commercial realtors. They often have empty space that
they'll rent cheap if you'll vacate it quickly, if necessary, and not
require a lease. Paying in cash can help as well. G

GET INSURANCE! It counts for a lot with the folks above.

Make it known that you're a hobbyist, NOT a for-profit wood shop.
Underscore the artistic side of the craft, as a potter or art
photographer might.

Know any other locals? Form a club and you may be able to get some
space, with a decent lease, by hooking up with them.

Talk to arts groups, like local theater groups or art guilds. They
often know of warehouse style space available, off the beaten path, at
reasonable rates.

Woodworking is artistic. Push the artsy side over the carpentry side
when dealing with realtors and landlords. This can also reinforce the
not-for-profit bent of the endeavor.

Be prepared to provide some sort of non-electric, portable heater.

Barry