Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Water Storage Tank - Plumbing the Pump & Pressure Tank

According to Scott Townsend :
Okay, So I know I left quite a few things out. Let me see if I can answer
some of the Questions.

The Tank's Main purpose is to be in compliance with the Fire Safe Standards
(we are in Northern CA on 2.5 acres)
It requires me to have 2500 Gallons of Water to be used at any time for a
Hydrant hookup. So the Hydrant is connected to the bottom on the Tank to be
able to draw the full potential of the tank. The Domestic Supply is at the
2500 gallon level so I would always have at least the 2500 gallons needed
for Fire Safe Standards.

Maybe Booster Pump is the wrong term. The Pump that will pressurize the
domestic supply line.

In other words, the well pump fills the storage tank to a particular
level, and the tank isn't pressurized. The outflow from the 2500 gal
point goes off to be pressurized with the booster pump for household use
via the pressure tank. The well pump is controlled via a level switch
in the tank. The booster pump is controlled by a pressure switch on
the pressure tank (_and_ some sort of level switch in the tank.)

It's generally better to push water than to suck it. Which suggests
that the booster pump should be at the storage tank. If it isn't,
you're relying on gravity feed to get the water from the storage
tank to the booster - the line has to be big. Which also means that
you have to be very careful to have a level switch in the tank to
inhibit the booster pump if the water level gets too low (some inches
above the booster outflow, otherwise it'll suck air.

You can still have the booster in the house (or at the well head)
if the gravity feed will be strong enough.

It occurs to me that you might as well have the booster pump line
"tap" off the storage tank at the bottom to maximize head pressure.
Use a level switch to inhibit the booster when the water level
drops to the 2500 gal level. This still guarantees your "2500 gal
availability for fire" requirement, and at the same time makes
air problems/dry running the booster less likely - especially if
the booster is at the house or the well head.

Mind you, since the 2500gal reserve depends on a level switch, rather
than the inherent "tap off level", it may not be acceptable - you may
have to ask.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est